Skin lightening seeks to return your skin’s original complexion and shade. In addition, this comes with the added advantage that your skin also becomes healthier. The skin is a very sensitive organ and with exposure to harsh environments, it will seem malnourished and aged. Skin lightening seeks to reverse these damages from harsh conditions such as the sun’s ultra violet rays and even harsh chemicals from the products you use on your skin.
Skin lightening therefore serves both functional as well as decorative purposes. Your skin appears brighter; it diminishes dark spots and provides an even skin tone and shade to meet the decorative purposes. To meet functional objectives, your skin becomes healthier. You may decide to opt for natural methods or the use of cosmetics to lighten your skin. This is not to be confused with skin whitening.
The process to use will depend on the method you choose. There are several options to go for including both natural and with the use of cosmetics. The products used vary and this will alter the process you go for as well as the duration you will need to repeat the procedure. Every option comes with its own benefits so be sure to pick one with the consideration of your skin’s attributes. The following are products to use to whiten your skin with the best of results while promoting the aspect of safety.
Best products to use
It is important that you are selective over what treatment you go for to prevent damaging your skin further. The following include both natural remedies as well as cosmetic treatments to help whiten your skin and leave it healthier and better looking.
Cosmetic remedies are several in the market all promising good results. However, you need to be specific about what you use, as skin is different from one person to another. The following are cosmetic solutions you can settle for.
Getting a prescription always provides better results as you rely on an experts point of view. The process is simplified as the ingredients are already combined. All you have to do is apply the cream in a circular motion as required by your prescription.
Skin lightening creams
The market offers several creams aiming to lighten your skin. Want to find out what the top bleaching cream of 2015 is? All of them are basically designed to lighten your skin by reducing the pigmentation (melanin) that causes tanning of skin. In general, no matter which product you choose you should always keep in mind the main factors below:
- When selecting a cream, look for creams that contain Kojic acid, glycolic acid, alpha hydroxyl acids, vitamin C and/or arbutin as the main or active ingredient.
- Apply only as directed and massage it into your skin
- Stop use with any irritation or bad reaction
- Avoid skin lightening creams that have the ingredient mercury due to some reactive claims which have led to its ban in the United States. Rather than take the risk, it is advisable that you avoid these products.
Retinoids are known to lighten skin as a result of its exfoliating your skin. It is a form of Vitamin A. Other than exfoliating your skin, it also boosts your skin cell turnover. Retinoids serve the following purposes to ensure your skin is healthy and better looking:
- It will clear any discolorations as a result of the sun’s ultra violet rays
- It tends to aging signs such as wrinkles and fine lines. It acts as a remedy for these aging signs to reverse them
- It boosts your skin’s elasticity by plumping your skin cells so your skin gets firm
Consider a chemical peel
Going for a chemical peel is probably the last minute option. It works through getting rid of the top layer of your skin that is discolored and/or unevenly tanned. The peel reveals the under skin which is not damaged to the surface.
This process must be under the supervision of an expert. The doctor/dermatologist will apply an acidic substance on your skin and allow it rest for about 5 to 10 minutes. Due to the acidic nature, it may sting your face, which causes redness and sometimes selling of the affected area. However, this will only last a few days. It is recommended that you undergo a series of peels with an interval of about 2 to 4 weeks. Between your intervals, avoid direct sunlight.
Benefits of Cosmetic Remedies
The results tend to be noticeable sooner as compared to natural remedies. They are effective and safe when picked in the right manner and used as directed.
They come with side effects depending on your skin’s sensitivity such as redness, soreness, and swollen features.
Natural treatments to are more preferred option as the possible side effects are minimal. In addition, they are considered more cost friendly.
The following natural method requires three processes. However, you do not need to carry out the procedure on a daily basis.
Exfoliate using pure baking soda
Exfoliating your skin helps to loosen the dead cells on your skin and help it breather better. The following simple procedure will help you exfoliate at home.
- In the ratio of 1:2, create a paste of water with baking soda.
- Using your fingers, massage the paste into the areas you are looking to lighten. Depending on how sensitive your skin may be, you can massage it in for 30 seconds to about 2 minutes.
- Rinse it off.
- Repeat the above once a day especially for sensitive areas such as with facial skin. If you are lightening your facial skin, ensure that you massage it over the shortest period possible. For sensitive areas, once a day for about three times in a week will be sufficient. This is also beneficial for persons with acne complications.
Apply lemon or papaya juice
After exfoliating your skin, you can apply lemon or papaya juice. To prepare for this step, you need the fruit, some water, and a bowl, then follow the process below.
- Slice the fruit among the two and remove seeds
- Squeeze out some juice (lemon) or create a pulp (papaya) into a bowl
- Using a cotton pad, dab the affected area with the juice smoothly
- Allow it rest on your skin for about 10 minutes. Under no circumstances should you let the solution rest for more than 20 minutes to avoid acidic burns
- Rinse it out with warm water
- Moisturize the area to prevent drying up of your skin
Using these, fruits provide the added advantage that they are antioxidants and will therefore boost the health of your skin. Their acidic nature allows them fight free radicals. This therefore helps in the regeneration of new skin cells. They are also rich in vitamin C and citric acid.
The papaya has an added advantage as it helps with hyperpigmentation due to its papain enzyme component. After this treatment, ensure that use sunscreen, as your skin is sensitive towards the sun. When applying on the face, it is important that you do not touch on other sensitive areas such as the eyes. Persons with very sensitive skin are advised to dilute the lemon juice before they can apply it to reduce its acidic nature.
Apply some oil moisturizer
At this stage, you need to apply some oil to help moisturize your skin, brighten it as well as promote anti-aging properties thus leaving your skin healthier and better looking. In addition, your skin remains soft and supple.
- Purchase oil that is rich in antioxidants. Also, ensure that the oil you settle for is light, and it does not clog the pores (non-pore clogging).
- Rub some oil onto the palm of your hands and massage it into your skin. Do this up to three times a day.
- You do not have to worry about rinsing it off. However, ensure you massage it in so your skin can absorb it to meet its objectives.
- Apply it in the evening when applying to your face.
N/B: when working with this remedy, it is important that you do not have any wounds or cuts. This is because it contains salt and acid. This will sting you if they come into contact with a wound or a cut.
The procedure above is a three part process. You do not have to complete it on a daily basis. However, it is advisable that you moisturize your skin on a daily basis especially in the evening when your skin is not exposed to other impurities and you will be relaxed.
The number of times you opt to work with this natural process is dependent on where you want to brighten your skin, the sensitivity in the area, as well as the damage on your skin. To lighten your face, do not surpass three times a week. Also, ensure that the applications are spread out evenly through the week. If you are simply lightening skin to brighten it, once a week or twice a month is sufficient. On the other hand, if you are whitening specific areas of your skin go for the complete process at least thrice a week or simply make it every day depending on your skin’s damage.
As a long-term effect, whether you are using a natural skin bleaching remedy or cosmetic remedies, it is important that you drink a lot of water to remain hydrated. Other options to go for are the application of aloe vera, and coconut oil. All you need do is make an extract of either and massage it into the skin. Allow it rest for about 10 minutes then rinse it off. Repeat the process until your skin provides the response you desire.
Benefits of using natural remedies
- It does not come with any long-term side effects
- The materials are easily available as well as affordable
- It is simple to complete
- Due to the natural ingredients, the effects last longer.
It may take some more time as compared to cosmetic remedies.